Friday, December 19, 2014

Jumbled

I'm trying to write down all the feelings and thoughts I have going on but I haven't been successful. It's like they are all battling to get out first. So if this post seems confusing and jumbled I am sorry. But I want to write today about my daily battle. It's goes a little something like this...

I woke up this morning and got Coop ready for school. Other than Miss Molly being a menace (Coop has given her this title) everything was easy going and smooth sailing. Then we loaded up in the car and went to pick up the girls we carpool with. Coop isn't too thrilled to stuck in a car with a bunch of girls each morning. Now if this were Jr high...  While taking the kids to school I was my silly goofy self, singing in the car and teasing with the kids. Then I dropped them off with a "BYE! Have fun today and be safe. LOVE YOU!!!" and Molls and I headed home. Our routine continues with me getting Molly some breakfast and I check emails and social media while she eats.

While browsing through Facebook I came across an interview with Nicki Minaj on the Jimmy Fallon Show. I love Jimmy Fallon and it said something about high school pictures so I had to see. Well as they were chatting they mentioned her song Anaconda (hate that song) and how it is a huge hit and that the video on YouTube has millions and millions of views. Curiosity got to me and I had to see why it is so crazy popular. I honestly don't like that song and I was pretty sure that the video wouldn't be any better but I clicked on the video and it began to play.

Now I may be getting old and lame but I wanted to cry as I watched it. These beautiful women using their bodies as objects to be used in such a demeaning way. To be honest... I cried. I cried for where our world has gotten. I cried for the lack of self respect in these women. I cried because the lyrics were so far from having any value. They were terrible and damaging. I cried for my daughter and all those little girls, teenagers and young women growing up in a world with influences like this. I cried for my son and all the young men in the world who are being shown that treating women this way isn't just OK but glorified. I cried because we have given this song, the music video and it's artist such praise.

I worry about what media like this will do to my son and my daughter. Will I be able to give them enough to fight the worsening battle of sexual media vs. respect and love for oneself and others. I worry about what my children will be faced with in the future.

One day we were in the car (side note: we only listen to the iPod, radio Disney or "oldies" stations in the car) and Cooper started singing, "What ya gonna do with that big fat butt? Wiggle wiggle wiggle..." Needless to say I wasn't pleased hearing that song come from my son. I hate that song. And I came to learn that while at another family's house he saw a video on YouTube of a cat shakin it's butt and they put it to that song. Funny... kind of. Appropriate for my 8 yr old? No. So I did what any parent should do... I talked to him about why it's not a good song and if I hear him sing it again I will not be happy. I told him how women and girls are daughter's of God and that as a man he has to make sure he is doing what he can to treat girls with respect. I also talked to him about how he deserves better as well because he is a son of God and that he is special and needs to keep higher standards. I explained to him how that song is disrespectful to women. And I spend a lot of time explaining what standards, respect, appropriate and a bunch of other words meant. I have learned that I can't just talk to him... I have to teach him.

I think a lot of parents are worried to teach their young children about these kinds of things but unfortunately it is necessary. If we do not give our children the tools they need to fight this battle they face in life how can we expect them to win it? And we need to have for faith in our children. They are strong beautiful spirits. We have to believe in them. We have to arm them with the tools they need. We have to lead them. We have to be there for them.


My blog is my tool... My soapbox if you must. I pray everyday that I can use this tool to help others know what I know. And that is this... Love is the way. Love for oneself. Love for each other. Love for our lives. Love is the only way to win the battle. If we love our children we will take the time to teach them about who they are, what they deserve as a child of God, and that everyone else deserves it as well. Please take the time to teach your children that EVERY LIFE MATTERS. They matter. Their feelings matter. Their future matters. Their dreams matter. And make sure they know that media is not reality. The lives we live in our homes, with the people we love, that is reality.

OK... Ran over. I'm pretty sure this will all just be confusing for you all to read. Sorry. I told you it would be a a jumbled mess.

XOXO,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment