Monday, January 5, 2015

Let us be kind.

Yesterday while driving home Cooper and I were talking. I love having our chats after he has been away to his dad's. It usually starts out the same way...

"How was your visit?"
"Good."
"What did you do? Anything fun?"
"Yeah."
"What was your favorite part about the visit?"
(It's usually something about video games or something funny on YouTube that they watched.)

It goes on until it becomes a genuine conversation where he is telling me this or that and he finally actually tells me how it was. Then it evolves into other topics ranging from random facts he knows to some sort of super hero or something like that. After a bit I asked him if he was excited to get back to school & see his friends. And that is when all the nudging and coaxing him to communicate with me payed off. 

You need to know Cooper to know how amazing he is. And I know I his mom and I have to say that but I'm honestly impressed with this kid day in and day out. He is kind, funny, creative, smart, and just so genuine. What you see is what you get. I love him.And that is why it hurts to find out that a kid(s) at school are being unkind to your child. Especially when you know that he deserves so much more.

As I asked that question I could tell something was up... He didn't give me a very enthusiastic answer... just a "yeah..." and that was it. I asked "Aren't you excited to see your friends and play with them?" And he told me that he only sees his friends in class and that he can't talk to them during class. So I said to him that he will get to play with them at recess. That is when he told me that a boy in his class has a password to get to play with them and Cooper doesn't know it so he can't play. Oh that instantly broke my heart. I said a quick silent prayer and then said this (or something pretty close to it) to my child...

"That is not fair or nice of him. I am sorry, bud. Sometimes people are unkind to each other. And sometimes there is a reason and sometimes there is not. But it doesn't matter what the reason is because no one deserves to be treated unkind. Don't let him make you feel bad. You are amazing and there is no good reason for him or anyone else to not let you play with them. You just remember that you are loved and that you matter. If he tells you you can't play without a password just go play with someone else. But you don't be unkind to him. You don't want to do the same thing he is doing. You can stand up for yourself and still be kind. And don't worry about finding someone to play with... You'll makes lots of friends throughout your life. Some will go away and some will stay your friend forever. Just try to always be a good friend and don't let anyone make you feel bad about yourself because you are an awesome kid!"

That is when he says... "I know. You've told me before to always be nice and I am. I promise"

It's so hard to protect your kids from hurt. I wish I could just put them in a bubble that deflected any and all unkindness that others will most certainly throw at them. But I know I can't do that. All I can do is give them the tools to rise above and survive it when it happens.

Each morning before school Cooper and I say a little prayer to help him throughout the day. And before he heads off to school I say the same thing with a hug and sometimes a kiss if he will allow it... 

Be safe! Have fun! Pay attention! Do your best! Be kind! I love you! See you later!

I imagine my Father in Heaven saying those things to me as I set off to learn my own lessons here in mortality... "Be safe! Have fun! Pay attention! Do your best! Be kind! I love you! See you later!"  I imagine Him gathering me in a hug and a kiss on my head and sending me off... wishing He could put me in a bubble to protect me from hurt and heartache. But God knew He could not do that. He new I had to experience those feelings to know what they felt like so I could learn to love. So instead of a bubble He gave me tools to use. He gave me prayer. He gave me His love. He gave me the example and life of His son Jesus Christ. He gave me the words and examples of His servants and prophets in ancient and modern day scripture. And He gave me the Holy Ghost.

This morning as Cooper ran out the door to catch his ride to school I said a prayer... a prayer that Cooper will have the Holy Ghost to help remind him of his worth. And a prayed that Coop to be lead to someone who might need a great friend like Cooper and who can be the same for my son.

Let us teach kindness to our children by word and by example. Let there be more love. Let us be a good friend to one another. Let us remember that we are all important and that every life matters. Let us be kind.


This is one of our favorite videos. We watch videos on Mormon Channel a lot. I have watched this one with Cooper a couple times before. I think we will re-watch it again tonight for Family Home Evening.

XOXO,
Katie

4 comments:

  1. I found your blog through the Let's Be Friends link- up. I agree with so much of what you've written here and I loved your "Jumbled" post. It's so hard to find the right words to guide our kids but it sounds like you have with your son and that he's listening to you.
    Off to check out the rest of your blog!
    Amber at OurCharmedLife.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog and to leave a comment. :) And thank you for your compliments. You're so sweet. :)

      Delete
  2. Ohhh that is so tough when you hear that someone has been unkind to your kid. My son is 10 and we've dealt with that a little bit as well. So awesome that you're continually showing your son to continue to be kind and to spread that. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww.. Thank you! It's hard to take the higher road sometimes and teach your child to be nice to someone who is mean to them... Sometimes I wanna say "Who cares! They suck!" LOL

      Delete