Monday, November 17, 2014

Mountains to climb... The wild way.

The other day while we were driving through Provo on our way home Coop and I had this conversation.

Coop: I've Always wanted to climb that mountain (Mount Timpanogos).
Me: That would be an awesome thing to do. Maybe Uncle Ronnie will take you... He does cool stuff like that all the time.
Coop: He does???
Me: Yep! He loves the outdoors and goes on lots of exciting adventures. I bet he'd take ya.
Coop: OK! But it's going to be hard and he will probably get tired but we have to go ALL the way to the top! Above the clouds even!!
Me: That is pretty high. But if you really want to do it you can.
(Now he uses a wild west tough guy voice from now on)
Coop: We'll do it the wild way...
Me: Wild way?
Coop: Drinkin outta the streams... Catchin fish and puttin them in the fire with rocks around it.
Me: Oh... Of course... The wild way!
Coop: We'll fight an angry old bear and make bows out of branches!
Me: Sounds intense...
Coop: I need to call and tell Uncle Ronnie.

He then called his Uncle and told him all of this and added something about "the manly way" and that barbie dolls aren't allowed up on the mountain. 

So next late spring or early summer or whenever it works out Cooper, Uncle Ronnie and whoever else goes with them will be climbing this mountain, fightin a old angry bear, makin bows outta branches, catchin fish to cook over fire and drinkin outta streams. Dasani counts right? They claim it comes from a spring.

OK... So this is where I use this lil entertaining conversation I had with my 8 year old as lesson on life. 

I want my kids to be adventurous and to do amazing awesome things. I want them to have an amazing childhood filled with excitement and beauty. I want them to know what an amazing place they live in. I grew up in Southern Utah and all the amazing places that people come from all over the world to see... that was my backyard... my playground! I want my kids to know how amazing Utah is. I am a truly proud Utah girl!

Now get ready... I'm about to get really cheesy. I want them to know that everyone has their own goals to reach... Trials to overcome... Lives to figure out and live... Mountains to climb. The climb isn't always pleasant. But I also want them to know that if they want something bad enough that it's possible. No more "One days" and "maybes". I will teach them to climb that mountain and to do it the wild way!!! There are no limits to what they can do. NONE! And I will make sure they know it. As their mom I will be there to listen to them and help them toward their goals. I love when I see parents who encourage instead of discourage their kids ambitions. My parents did it for me... My husband and I will do it for our kids.

I am so inspired by my kidlets. I strive to be more like them. Adventure is out there. I can't let my mountains stop me. If I can't climb my own mountains how am I going to help them climb theirs?

XOXO,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment